Thursday, November 06, 2008

Shop Hopping

Two weeks ago I visited my sister in Salem. On the way home I started my journey on my very first Shop Hop. This was the SW Washington Shop Hop. There was a list of 12 shops between Vancouver and Shelton. At each shop you get a free piece of fabric and directions for one of the 12 squares. Since this was my rookie Shop Hop, I was learning along the way..like I needed to purchase more fabric for the squares..so, I started doing at later stores.

This first store was in Vancouver. I combined this stop with lunch with our good friends, Glenn and Cindy! (Miss you guys!)
Inside the Vancouver shop they had a quilting room. There were 2 huge quilting machines, all computerized..It can be quite hi-tech..maybe that's why I haven't finished any quilts yet..this is daunting..granted..the home quilter usually doesn't have all this fancy stuff.. Here is the shop in Battleground. This shop was on the owner's property. I had to maneuver around the chickens in the yard!
My next stop up I-5 was in Longview. Not only did this shop have sewing and vacuum, it had a whole kitchen section..It was pretty cool..

Traveling just a few miles north, the next stop was Castle Rock. I've never been to Castle Rock and it's a cute little town.

After heading a bit further north, I turned east and went to Morton. That was the hardest drive, only because it was 3o miles off of I-5..but, it was a beautiful drive and had a beautiful view of Mt. Saint Helens!

As the hour was getting late, I wasn't able to get to Chehalis or Centralia on Friday, so I continued up to Tumwater..It was opened until 6:30....this shop is not too far from my house so it's another place to learn..

On Saturday, Oct. 25th, I headed to Emily's candle party and spent the night. She and I went to church the next day and on my way home, I detoured to do some more "hopping." This shop is in Yelm...I should say that both days were wonderfully sunny..I couldn't have asked for better driving weather.

From Yelm I went down a back highway to Chehalis and Centralia. I went through the town of Rainier..I wondered where that town was. We have friends there, so that was fun to see. This is the Chehalis shop..once again, I had never been in the downtown part of Chehalis. Only stops right off of I-5. I think that's been one of the neatest thing of this journey..

Here is the Centralia shop. Now this was fun..the shop?? No, the 2 guys in there planning their next quilt. Not that guys can't quilt, but I hadn't seen it before..they were brothers..one did the sewing and piecing and such and the other did the grunt work..the cutting!


More to come on the next post..

























No comments: